Historical notes about the Manor of Hepmangrove, Huntingdonshire, England, UK
The earliest reference to HEPMANGROVE is in the statutes of Abbot Aldwin (1091–1102) under which the profits from the manor were assigned to the cellarer of Ramsey Abbey for finding and mending the utensils of the refectory, bakehouse and brewhouse. (fn. 11) From a survey of the time of Henry I, three tenants each rendered one or two bolls of honey. (fn. 12) During the 13th and 14th centuries, much of the land in Hepmangrove was granted for religious purposes. In 1352 Philip de Clarvaux gave lands, the profits of which were to be expended in prayers for his own soul, and those of Emma his wife and his ancestors. (fn. 13) In 1307 John de Lincoln, parson of the church of Cranfield, and others, granted lands here and in Ramsey and Bury for finding tapers to burn before the tomb of St. Ivo in the Abbey church. (fn. 14) Other lands were given by Henry Malpas in 1396 for the maintenance of the Lady Chapel in the Abbey church, then newly built. (fn. 15)
We have an instance here of a family arrangement, not perhaps unfrequent in the 14th century. In 1362 William de Morton conveyed lands in Hepmangrove formerly belonging to Richard de Morton, possibly his father, to Thomas de Caunville and Fina his wife. (fn. 16) Thomas dealt with the property in 1372–5, (fn. 17) and in 1389 conveyed his lands to John his son and Alice his wife, and their children. By this deed provision was made that Thomas should have the best chamber in their house at Hepmangrove, and should board and have an allowance of 20s. a year, which allowance was to be increased to 40s. should he not approve of the board provided for him. (fn. 18)
The manor remained with Ramsey Abbey till the Dissolution, when it was granted with Ramsey (q.v.) and Bury on 4 March 1539–40 to Richard Williams alias Cromwell and since then has followed the descent of the manor of Bury (q.v.).
Victoria County History - Huntingdonshire Published 1932